20 March 2012

Give-Away Blast - Week #3, Day 2

A selection of 5 antique tin cookie and biscuit cutters.
I choose.
*See updated detail photos below.

Item: antique tin cookie and biscuit cutters. (1) vegetable scraper.
Wt: minimal
Sz: varies
Composition: tin
Etc: I promise to select a fair and interesting assortment for you. I collected these over a period of years from friends, relatives, and antique shops and shows.

Comment below to win by answering the following question?

Q: Are you a cookie baker? Christmas or all year-round?

See the narrow grey box below? Click on the word comment(s) in the narrow grey area below to leave your comment. Otherwise, email me at lemonade_marielle@comcast.net



Winner to be announced on Saturday, March 24th. Be sure to register on every post this week.


*Here are the promised detail photos:



100 comments:

  1. I love to bake cookies, mostly at Christmas time, occasionally other times during the year, when time allows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks or your comment. There are more give-aways Wed-Thurs-Fri, so come on back!

      Delete
    2. Those are very cute. As soon as I saw them I thought they would look so cute displayed in a clear jar! Too cute to tuck away.

      Delete
  2. Mostly at Christmas, but a few more times all year. I love using the vintage cookie cutters for Christmas cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For quite a few years I would do gingerbread cookies of Noah's Ark and all the animal 2x2 for our mantle at Christmas. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Ericka Grothman20 March, 2012 21:19

    These are awesome. Mostly at Christmas, but if I get an idea whenever it hits!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are great as napkin rings or wall decor, as well as cookies.

      Delete
  4. I love to eat cookies! I bake them every once and a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, don't you think that cut-out cookies are the most difficult of all? Still worth it for the right occasion.

      Delete
  5. Actually I seldom bake cookies but I love the biscuit cutters. They remind me of the ones my mother had. They would be a great gift to share with my grandson who is going to culinary school at the CIA. I would share any cookie cutters with his fiance who is also going there to become a pastry chef.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool. Some of these are great for cutting scones and biscuits. Vintage cutters are a great gift idea.

      Delete
  6. I bake on occasion but I really like to make ornaments and crafts from old antique cookie cutters! I love your basement giveaway idea...how creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah-h, yes. Our Christmas tree has a collection of salt dough shapes from years gone by--Rudolph, Raggedy Ann and Andy, Cookie Monster, Miss Piggy...

      Delete
  7. I make biscuits AND cookies all year round. My family love homemade biscuits and gravy for dinners and cookies any other time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Real homemade biscuits, I'll bet. Not the kind that passes as "homemade." Nothing better. And, there're a variety of shapes and sizes of these antique tin cutters.

      Delete
  8. I make cookies all year long..but my all time favorite is sugar cookies. My mom has an awesome recipe that I use..and my hubby loves. Thanks for the chance to win.

    kim3timemom at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love your recipe for sugar cookies. I have awesome recipes for molasses, shortbread, oatmeal, and peanut-butter chocolate chip cookies. I'm known for my cookies, but have never really conquered cut-out sugar cookies.

      Delete
  9. I love love love to bake... i am always looking for new things to bake and cookies or one of my favorite things. Fall and Christmas time are my favorite times to bake and i make a goody tin for all my friends and family for Christmas every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. One of the best gifts at Christmas is homemade cookies. Hobby Lobby has some cute square tin boxes with a see-through window.

      Delete
  10. I have been on a cookie-baking binge lately. Love the cookie cutters, especially the horse. Reminds me of the Scandinavian dala horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You win, the horse is yours! Good luck.

      Delete
  11. Cookies? Yum! I cook cookies all year round, but I recently moved south and need to get my biscuit on! love this idea! Thanks for a chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Southern biscuits are the best. I have a great recipe for Southern Cornbread on one of my other blogs whenlifesendsyoulemons.blogspot.com

      Except, the recipe includes white cornmeal and white flour, which I've been told no self-respecting Southern cook would include. The recipe is fantastic--you drizzle honey over the top just as it comes out of the oven.

      Delete
  12. Cookie Baker??! Yes! I can never get enough sweets. I wished I had a shamrock cutter this week. Alas, no luck but the green dinner worked anyway! I love the collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No shamrock, but you'd be in good shape for Easter as there's a duck...

      Delete
  13. I am working on getting in touch with my inner baker, but love cutters for making fun toast, sandwiches, brownie/cake bites for my friends, coworkers and elderly mother to give a touch of whimsy in their treats. I found doing decorations for cakes are good times to use cutters to make an imprint in the frosting to fill in with candies or piping. I think your giveaway idea is lovely and hope it catches on! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ideas. I've done the same, using a heart -shaped cutter to outline on top of a lemon cheesecake and then filling the heart-shape with lime curd. Tangy and great!

      Delete
  14. I bake cookies almost once a week! Always trying different recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the same for years--at least once a week. I worked with some excellent bakers and we always had homemade treats at the office,

      Delete
  15. My four little grand girls love baking with grandma. They are ages 5-6-8-9! They are learning the delight in all things old and vintage. Would love to add these to the collection I have in a large cookie jar on my counter! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 4 granddaughters, too. 7-4-3-2. They all love to bake and have some impressive skills.

      Delete
  16. I'm not really a cookie baking type person.
    Mainly because I don't have any cutters.
    But I can see me cutting cute sandwiches, biscuits, cakes, granola bars, etc. with those lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First you need the cutters. The cookies will follow. Like Field of Dreams.

      Delete
  17. I LOVE these as well! We love making cookies and these could be used for crafts for tracing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracing is an excellent idea. And, Play Dough creations.

      Delete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE baking cookies year round.
    cindyskitchen@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. It's never too hot to bake homemade cookies.

      Delete
  20. I love baking cookies! I usually use a cookie press most of the time...but, i would love to try using cookie cutters, sounds like fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those cookie press cookies are so good, too. I'm sure the other comments will inspire you, also.

      Delete
  21. I need/want/lust after a biscuit cutter with the small center circle removable. My dad had one of these and he used to make tiny bread circles and put them in a pan. After they were baked, he covered them with garlic butter. The BEST bread you've ever put in your mouth.

    Dad has been dead 20 years, but I'd love to have something like that so I can make the bread for my family - and think of daddy who taught me to love cooking and baking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one in the photo on the lower far right fits your description, I think. You can swivel the hole cut-out from the round side o the crinkle side. That should allow you to cut with or without the hole.

      Good luck. Some of these will show up here again at a later date.

      Delete
    2. Ok - is this the part where I BEG for just that one biscuit cutter? Seriously, I have been looking for one like it for decades! Pretty please ;-)

      Delete
  22. I make cookies all year round, but make shaped sugar cookies usually only around Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cookies are my favorite dessert. I admire anyone who has the patience for cut-out cookies. Martha Stewart does crazy cut-outs. Works of art.

      Delete
  23. I only bake cookies at Christmastime and usually not with cookie cutters, but I do use cookie cutters (especially old ones)to tie onto gift packages for my baking friends!Makes a beautiful gift package!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another very clever idea. Goes with my use as napkin rings. Gift tie-ons. I'm going to do that!

      Delete
  24. I love to make cookies. I have special ones I make at Christmas but make basic sugar and oatmeal the rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oatmeal cookies are my husband's favorites--require walnuts or pecans, and always white raisins. He thinks adding chocolate chips is an abomination.

      Delete
  25. Marcia Goodman20 March, 2012 23:13

    I love these cutters...I'm not really a cookie baker but I am nostalgic and these inspire feelings of nostalgia in me! Especially the biscuit cutter...I remember one like it from my childhood...thanks for sharing the photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. I'm having fun sharing.

      Delete
    2. Marcia, You won! Please email me at lemonade_ marielle@comcast.net

      Delete
  26. I'm not much of a baker, but my 11y/o son and I love to bake cookies together mostly around Christmas time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic. Such memories you're building. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  27. I bake cookies year round for my little sweethearts. The collection in your photo looks similar to the ones my grandma had on our farm. I would love to have them! You are so sweet to do this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. So happy to evoke good memories for you. That makes my give-aways worthwhile.

      Delete
  28. Hello - honestly I am just beginning to find a passion for baking. I had a recent health scare which has caused me to really take a look at everything in my life. I already feed my family pretty well but I have recently began baking more - homemade breads, tortillas, etc. I would LOVE to be able to make homemade biscuits but don't have a biscuit cutter... I also prefer to pack my sons lunches & would love to be able to cut out their sandwiches, etc into fun shapes. Thank you for having such a generous heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, and I'm so happy for you that it was just a scare. I had one recently, also. Keeps us on our toes.

      Delete
  29. I love to bake cookies at Christmas - my Grandma used to make over 100 different kinds, yes kinds each year. I hit about 35, but can't do the 100 (even though I try!) We do cookies about once a month otherwise. Not sure why not??? Thanks for the chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! 100 kinds is the most I've heard. Although, my niece, Janet Maston's ( on Facebook as a Pampered Chef rep) family might come close.

      Delete
  30. I love to bake cookies all year long because it is nice to have little treats around to share. When I can, I pick up antique cutters to display in my kitchen because they seem to have universal appeal and make me smile whenever they catch my eye. Most of mine are displayed in a large apothecary jar. How kind of you to share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The apothecary jar is a great idea. An ongoing visual to evoke those family memories.

      Delete
  31. I am a cookie baker at christmas, the rest of the year I am lazy and just do chocolate chip. But I would love these to make bento lunchs for my kids to take to school! ohh...and my bday is the 24th;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy birthday. I love the Bento box idea. Our local sushi restaurant creates Bento's that are a thing of beauty.

      Delete
  32. I usually bake cookies on special occasion only. I love to pull out the cookie cutters at Christmas time with my two daughters. I do not have a large kitchen so it is not something I do all the time. I do however cook every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing what you can pull-off in a small kitchen. I think of pastry and ice cream chef David Lebovitz who lives in Paris. Until recently he created magic from a teeny-tiny Paris apartment kitchen. He's just moved to larger quarters. His recipes and outlook on Paris are wonderful. Google him.

      And, my daughter-in-law's mother in Bratislava literally fed the masses with beautiful food from her tiny kitchen.

      Love the space you're in.

      Delete
  33. You have some amazing shapes ! I bake cookies occasionally. But love cookie cutters. I also use them in my job as an Elementary Art Teacher, with clays. There is something magical about the older cutters,memories of cookies past (LOL). I have a wall right as you enter our home that is decorated with my cutters, from relatives passed and various jaunts to antique stores and yard sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, the creativity expressed over these cookie cutters amazes me. Good luck. What doesn't get given-away this time will reappear at a later date.

      Delete
  34. I bake cookies for my husband about once a month so he can have treats for lunches. I also make my own dog biscuits for our two labs. They LOVE them. I even bought a dog bone cutter to make them even more special.

    I see a donut cutter in your picture. That takes me back to my grandma and mom who always made donuts for Christmas and other special occasions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father almost never cooked, but I remember his frying donuts for his 5 little girls. Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete
  35. I usually just bake cookies at Christmas time, but now my 3 year old son started getting in on the action! So, we're baking all the time! We just made some yesterday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun! My husband and I had the best time Thanksgiving week making pies with an almost 2-year old who's watched her big sisters in the kitchen.

      Delete
  36. What a wonderful site! I have checked out your other site you mentioned, too, "When life sends you lemons"...love it! I love baking all year long! As the mother of 3 young men in the service, a whole lot of baking for care packages takes place. Buttermilk biscuits and cornbread are also a staple in this southern home! I was raised by my grandmother that nothing says "love" like something homemade! Many blessings to you for this wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three sons in the service of our country? Bless you and them. Truly. Much luck.

      Delete
  37. I am just gearing up to hit my sugar cookie stride! I have two boys (2 and 4) and I have been enjoying making sugar cookies in relevant shapes for holidays since Christmas (Christmas, Valentines Day, St. Patrick's Day, and soon Easter). The boys love to do some cut-outs and to decorate them and I love the time together where there's no fighting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, there are so boy-approved shapes in this mix. Thank you.

      Delete
  38. I bake ALL year :) I have 4 children. They are 8, 11, 13, & 14 years old. I am hoping they help me this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get them involved! Instant rewards. And, a fantastic way to stimulate conversations that you want to have.

      My friends always felt the time in the car ferrying their 4 kids to activities was the best opportunity to really get to know each's struggles and concerns. One-on-one.

      Delete
    2. Some of our favorite memories of the kids growing up (the "kids" are now 28, 26, 23 & 20!) were from our driving vacations. We once drove from Chicago to Montana with our youngest then 18 months. The kids were their own best friends, and great conversations (lots of laughter!) was had by all! I now encourage young parents to drive, drive, drive - and turn off all personal devices (iPads, iPods, phones) and even the DVD player. This time is so special!

      Delete
  39. Cookies are an all year ordeal but my granny just passed down her biscuit and gravy recipe to me! My usual biscuit suspect is a floured up juice glass.....anything to get breakfast goin! I'm having my first child in August and were doing country themed munchies... your cutters gave me some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! Nothing sweeeter than a little one so fresh from God. I think Mary Engelbreit has that quote on one of her baby cards.

      Delete
  40. I'm definitely an all-year cookie baker - in fact, I have to try to limit my cookie baking or I'd do it every day. I have a favorite gingerbread recipe that I never, ever get tired of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see my comment above about making a Noah's Ark and 2x2 animals out of gingerbread to hang from our mantle's garland each Christmas?

      But, then you'd have to wait to eat them...

      Delete
  41. Love to bake cookies. For Christmas I start collecting cookie jars from garage sales & fill them up with an assortment of cookies for gifts. When my grandkids visit one of their favorite thing to do is select cutters to make cookies or sandwiches or just push then into the carpet to make the shape. Ive ever met anyone that didnt like some sort of cookie its like the best handshake ever! Love your idea of passing around your treasures. Sharing your collection is a great idea. Kaye T Eastman GA bruceandkaye@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another creative idea. Cookie jars from garage sales, filled with fresh cookies for Christmas gifts.

      I love it!

      Delete
  42. I would love to own these! I am constantly looking for cookie cutters of various sizes for the cookies I make for my friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cookies are beginning to sound like a symbol of friendship and love. Can't believe how many of you have expressed your plans/practices of sharing cookies with others.

      One of my favorite cookie quotes:

      When things are bad and getting worse, keep a cookie in your purse.

      Delete
  43. I love to bake. Started baking with my grandmother when I was a child. We both continue to bake year round but every Christmas we have a giant baking day where we bake for hours. My oldest daughter is starting to get involved. Her favorite is licking the beaters of course. These would be magical in our collection

    ReplyDelete
  44. Cookies are a must at our house :) I bake all the time and now have 2 little bakers who love to help me with cut-outs! I hope to pass on the baking gene :) bslester@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love to bake, my daughters and I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. They love to help and I love that they are interested in it. These are wonderful items, thank you for this great idea! Melissa melissajhurtubise@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. I must admit that I don't like making cookies because I have to stay in the kitchen or forget and burn! But this week i've already made 2 batches and making one more. gkids are coming for spring break and i have to stock the freezer! Hannah R.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I actually bake cookies almost every morning for my kids' lunches. These are awesome (showing my age) and I would love to put them to good use!

    ReplyDelete
  48. One of my first memories is standing on an old stool at the kitchen counter, making cookies with my sweet grandmother. That must have been the beginning of my love of baking! My children grew up baking - my youngest son makes a mean peanut butter cookie - and we've continued the tradition with the grandchildren. Our annual baking day for the holidays has become a cherished family time (and not just for the girls)! Esther D.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Would love to have this collection.

    ReplyDelete
  50. My great grandmother and mother passed the love of baking on to me....I am now passing it on to my children. I homeschool my youngest and each week we incorporate a baking project to help fill Math and Science curriculum. He LOVES cookie cutters!

    ReplyDelete
  51. My mother-in-law has taught me alot about homemaking that I didnt learn from my own family...she is the mom I always whish I had...and baking for her family was one of her greatest delights, cooking in general! She made homemade donuts, cookies, and all kinds of baked goodies...sugar cookies were her best, and i try hard to imitate...but hers were the best..these cutters make me think of her...and all the good times we had in the farm kitchen..thanks so much for offering these things to people you dont even know...restores my faith in people!!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I have just recently started baking all kinds of treats to bring to work. I am building my collection of bakeware to start decorating cookies. This is a wonderful idea you have! Thank you for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I love baking cookies, but we've got some picky eaters in our family (my nephew doesn't like chocolate chip cookies. Who doesn't like chocolate chip cookies?!).

    ReplyDelete
  54. Ohhhh...those are so cute! I am not a very good baker, but I use cookie cutters for so many other things...fruit, sandwiches, ect...

    ReplyDelete
  55. I love baking cookies! I haven't had much success with cut-outs yet, but I need to keep practicing for a cookie deadline I have coming up!

    ReplyDelete

Your entry to win begins here...