22 March 2012

Give-Away Blast - Week #3, Day 4



Item: Two-sided game board: Chinese Checkers and standard Checkers
Wt: 1 lb. 9 ozs.
Sz: 16" square
Composition: pine
Inscription: CHINKEK-CHEK, THE GAME OF ALL AGES
Provenance: Can't remember where I purchased this, but it was sometime in the mid-to-late 1980s. More than likely from antique's shop or show .
Etc: This appears to be hand-made. The Chinese checkers side may have been stenciled, and the standard checkers side is definitely hand-drawn and painted.

I haven't seen anyone play Chinese checkers for a long time, but we did often as kids. Probably politically incorrect to continue calling the game Chinese Checkers, and I'm truly worried about the inscription.


Comment below to win by answering the following question:

Q: Would you hang this on a wall, or add it to your games collection?

See the narrow grey box below? Click on the word comment(s) to get to the entry form.
Otherwise, email me at lemonade_marielle@comcast.net

Winner to be announced on Saturday, March 24th. Be sure to register on every post this week.

27 comments:

  1. I am a new follower of your blog. I would definitely use it as a game board, my kids would love playing checkers with it. Thank you for the opportunity to enter.
    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We would most DEFINITELY add this to our game collection! Our daughter is finally old enough to play more than Chutes and Ladders, Hungry Hippos and Candy Land. We've recently started to have Game Night Fridays - this would be wonderful to add to the rotation!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both! What an awesome piece! Nothing better than functional art! We gather around our table to play games. We can take this right off the wall, grab the game pieces from the hutch, and have a lively game of checkers. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a awesome game board. I would let my kids play on this, they love checkers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would hang it on the wall so that we could use it to play games! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved board games when I was a child. I played many games of checkers with my dad and I thank him for all of the fun I knew in my childhood. My mother wasn't the "fun" parent at all

    ReplyDelete
  7. My great grandmother had a board like this only bigger, it also had pouches in each corner for some kind of sliding checkers game.

    I would take it to our cabin out in the woods, our Serenity place with solar and wind power, no tv, no Internet, and add it to the game shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would gift these to my sister-in-law who is an avid antiques collector. I just know she'd love to add these to her vintage themed game room!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would use the game in my high school library. Kids could play during their down time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a home schooling mommy- always looking for fun things to do with my (almost 5 year old daughter... we live in an old bungalow and love old things... so we'd use the board games for family game night and maybe store them on the wall since they're really nice looking ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! I used to love playing Chinese Checkers as a kid. I'd teach my kids and let them play.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why choose one or the other? Hang it on the wall, and when you get the hankering to play, take it down and bust out a win! I played Chinese checkers so much as a kid with my deaf grandma. We didn't have to talk to have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would definitely hang it on the wall in our game room (with the option to play either side!!) Love the colors on the Chinese checkers side :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to teach my children the simple joy of chinese checkers! I had a similar board when I was a kid in the 80's and I games like this filled our cable-free summer nights. I think for a storage idea is to hang it on the wall until we are ready to play. That way I could get double use out of it and the board wouldn't suffer any damage in our game closet. This is my first post on your sight and I love what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Neither. I would put it on my end table, like a tray. And then scold anybody that tried to set anything on it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jenny Cooke-Strickland22 March, 2012 18:54

    I would totally hang that on the wall in the family room! Then I would take it down for GAME NIGHT! =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would do both! It wuld look good hanging up, but I would be able to bring it down for a game of checkers with my grandkids. It is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both here too! I've been looking for some wooden game boards to hang in our family entertainment room:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would love to play these games with my children and grand children. You are sweet to offer them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would probably put this on my book shelf as a decoration...I have lots of old books and toys around and this would be a great addition. Though if the neighbor kids ever asked, I'd get it down to play. I let them play with my rag dolls and such also. Thank you for what you do here, it is certainly a new concept. Maybe I will do the same when I purge my basement. I usually put items on the front stoop with a free sign and hang a bag of bags on the door for people to use to tote their items home.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would use it to teach these kids of mine that we don't need all the gadgets in the world to have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd use it as wall decor with the option to use! I'd teach my kids how to play! I don't think they've ever seen the game!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have the perfect spot to hang it on my living room wall. I wont lie, I wouldn't let my boys play with it - this one would be mine! =)

    ReplyDelete
  24. My mother in law has a old board like this on the wall in the family room. The grand kids all take it down and play with it when they visit. My husband has such wonderful memories of this board and the family times surrounding it.

    I would hang it on the wall waiting for my kids ( and someday) Grand kids taking off the wall to play a heated game of Chinese checkers.

    Www.lovelifeandbegentle.blogspot.com

    Be gentle,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  25. This Chinese checkers board takes me back to my childhood. I would play Chinese checkers with my sister and my older neighbor. I would hang it on our Family Room Wall where it could be used at a moments notice!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would definately add to my game collection. I spent countless hours with my mom and sister playing this game when I was a child. Now I have two grandsons who love to play board games and I have looked for this game to teach them. All we could find was the flimsy cardboard type.

    ReplyDelete

Your entry to win begins here...